Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Journey To Reality.

Welcome me back to reality cause I've just taken a trip of revelation.
Route Travelled: Arab Street.

Along the way,
I saw beggars along the streets, empty shops and empty houses.
Having compassion for the beggars, I searched through my wallet hoping for some small notes I can offer to them.
But none.
All I had were 3 $10 notes and 1 $50 note.
Instead of giving the $10 or $50,
I gave only $1.65 worth of coins; loose change.
After giving to them,
I came to a realisation that we as humans are all materialistic.
The reluctance to give $10 to some poor soul cut me deep.
Just when I thought I am doing good,
I realised I could've done so much more.

It brought me back to this story I heard about a man who walks around bare-footed, hoping for some new pair of shoes as he felt his were too old-fashioned.
Until one day he met a man who had no legs.
He never changed his shoes ever since.

What I am trying to say is that we don't realise just how lucky all of us are.
We complain about our face because it's full of pimples,
we complain our height because it's below-average,
we complain of the allowance our parents give to us,
we complain of how tough our lives are and how tired we are of it.
And we just stay there and complain.
But while we're complaining,
there are people out there with disfigured faces,
there are people out there who are midgets,
there are people out there begging on the streets,
there are people out there slogging day and night for a mere amount of money enough for a meal.
These are people who fight.
They fight for what they desire most.
Like us,
they have dreams,
they have aspirations,
they're tired,
they're hungry.
For that,
they fight and fight.
And even if they do not make it,
at least they can't say they didn't try.

You want happiness?
Fight for it.
Not with hatred,
not with violence,
but with love.

No matter how bad things are, you can always make things worse.
At the same time, it is often within your power to make them better.
You want a miracle?

Be the miracle.


Peace and love,
Lewis

No comments: