Monday, September 15, 2008

Dare To Fall, Dare To Pick Yourself Up, Dare To Try Again.


On a visit to Aunt Rosemary's house, Baby A meets Baby B. Baby A was 6 months old, while Baby B, 5 months. They were both sitting on the lawn when something caught their eyes, a shining red apple. While Baby B tries to stand to walk over to grab the apple, he fell. He cried. But focusing on the apple, he tries again. Again, he falls and cries again. Baby A sitting a distant away, couldn't stand the pathetic sight.

Baby A: "Hey, stop trying. You can't even walk and you expect to reach that shiny object? Quit dreaming."
Baby B: "I'm not dreaming. I'm trying."
Baby A: "I just can't stand the pathetic sight of you falling and crying."
Baby B: "I know how pathetic I look, but if I don't try, I'll never know how that object tastes like."
Baby A: "Go ahead then! I don't care."

Baby B repeats the cycle of standing, falling and crying for half an hour. After that, Baby B fell and just remained seated, crying.

Baby B: "I'm useless. I can't do it! I keep trying and trying but still keep failing. Maybe I shouldn't even try in the first place."
Baby A: "Hey, look up! Look up!"
Baby A: "You're under the tree already! Quick! Reach up and grab it!"

Baby B upon realising, tries to stand up one more time and reach for it. Only to realise he was too short to reach it.

Baby B: "I can't! I need help. Won't you come help me?"
Baby A: "Me?! I can't even stand properly and you want me to help you? You must be joking."
Baby B: "You can do it. Just keep trying and never give up. You may fall and cry, but pick yourself up and try again. Even when the odds are against you, keep trying."
Baby A: "I dare not. I'd rather play it safe and stay here."
Baby B: "If you do not dare to try, then you'll never learn and you'll never know whether or not you would've made it."
Baby B: "Even if it hurts you, the satisfaction at the end of it is much sweeter. Keep trying!"

Baby A then starts his attempt to Baby B. After another half an hour of standing, falling, crying and this time, the constant encouragement from Baby B, Baby A reaches Baby B.
Baby A then assisted Baby B to up to the apple. There their mothers watch with tears in their eyes as Baby B grabs the apple with his small hands. Their mothers then cut the apple up and feed Baby A and Baby B.

Baby B: "See. The satisfaction at the end is indeed so much sweeter. If you do not dare to fall, you'll never walk. Sure you may fall and shed a tear or two, but you've got to pick yourself up and try again. Keep trying; keep probing. Even if you do not succeed, at least you'll know you tried your best. And don't be afraid of crying. It's never shameful to cry. But it's shameful if you cry and do nothing about it. The odds are never against you unless you say so yourself. We do not live for tomorrow, we do not live for yesterday, we live for this moment. So cherish it and do all you can to keep it. With the help and encouragement of your friends, you'll be able to get through it for you know you're never alone in this. Everyone needs help some time; no one's superman. Should you remain seated on that lawn, you'll never be able to taste the sweetness of this apple!"


Peace and love,
Lewis

No comments: